Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
Walking & Trekking Holidays
Walking holidays & trekking at altitude - what to expect
Our walking holidays and trekking holidays are designed to allow gradual height gain, spread over a number of days. There is no way of predicting who will suffer from altitude but, for the vast majority of people, a slow ascent to height will produce minimal effects. On a few high altitude treks we carry a Gamow Bag as a precautionary measure.
The dossier pack that we send to you when you book your holiday includes comprehensive advice on safe travel at altitude. If you would like to find out more about the effects of altitude and the best preventative measures, then please visit the website of the research charity Medex and download their excellent booklet called 'Travel at High Altitude'. For treks involving travel above 4,000m/13,120ft, we'd strongly recommend that you read this booklet before you travel. You can also call our office and speak to an experienced member of our team.
With over 100 superb walking and trekking holidays worldwide we have something to offer everyone. Our small group walking and trekking holidays are graded from Gentle to Expedition Grade and include iconic treks, pioneering adventures, plus less energetic gentle walking holidays
- Discover towering Himalayan peaks, sacred lakes and hidden valleys - only a short drive from Kathmandu
- Enjoy a fabulous Himalayan tea house trek on quieter trails through the home of the Tamang and Yolmo Sherpa people
- Gain excellent acclimatisation with a gradual ascent and time to explore the beautiful area around Kyanjin Gompa
- Stay in welcoming tea houses and support the local communities
Flight inclusive from £2,095, Land only from £1,295
- Trek one of Bhutan’s oldest trails with wonderfully varied scenery and superb mountain views
- Walk to the fabled Tiger’s Nest Monastery and visit Punakha Dzong
- Explore the key cultural sights of Thimphu and the Paro Valley
- Attend one of Bhutan’s most significant festivals (on selected departures)
- Enjoy first-rate camping and well-appointed hotels
Flight inclusive from £3,325, Land only from £2,595
- Trek on sections of the 'Peace Trail' circuit straddling the borders of Kosovo, Albania and Montenegro
- Enjoy rugged walking and ascend three peaks including the highest in Kosovo
- Experience the warmest of welcomes and the generous hospitality of the local shepherds and farmers
- Stay in a traditional shepherd's hut and village houses for a glimpse of an ancient way of life
Flight inclusive from £1,550, Land only from £1,175
- First-rate accommodation in Bhutan using comfortable hotels and lodges
- Relax at Dwarika’s hotel in Kathmandu – a unique heritage property
- Explore the cultural highlights of Bhutan including iconic Taktsang Monastery
- Excellent and varied programme of gentle walks
Flight inclusive from £3,445, Land only from £2,695
- Visit six of Costa Rica’s premier national parks and wildlife reserves
- Enjoy a varied programme of walks that showcase Costa Rica’s incredibly diverse landscapes.
- Spend time in Tortuguero renowned for its fabulous wildlife and laid-back Caribbean vibe.
- Look for rare and exotic birds in the cloudforest of Monteverde and a take a boat tour along the wildlife-rich waters of Caño Negro Reserve.
- Go hiking amidst the surreal and beautiful volcanic scenery of Rincon de la Vieja in the fiery northwest.
- Relax at the end of your holiday on beautiful Panama Beach with the option to extend.
Flight inclusive from £3,330, Land only from £2,695
- Trek on Japan's Nakasendo trail with beautiful scenery, picturesque villages and historic post-towns
- Stay in traditional accommodation, enjoy hot spring baths and get under the skin of Japanese life
- Discover modern high-rise Tokyo and the cultural city of Kyoto
- Explore the many temples and monasteries of atmospheric Mount Koya
Flight inclusive from £4,650, Land only from £3,755
- Follow in the footsteps of Joanna Lumley, walking the most beautiful section of the new Transcaucasian Trail.
- Stay in traditional watchtower villages, including beautiful Ushguli, now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Explore the unspoilt Alpine scenery of ancient Upper Svaneti, one of the wildest, most mysterious regions of Georgia
- Enjoy the hospitality of local families experiencing the distinctive Svaneti culture firsthand
- Have your luggage transferred each day so all you need to carry on trek is a small daysack.
- Step back in time on a guided walking tour of Tblisi, Georgia's remarkable capital city.
Flight inclusive from £2,415, Land only from £1,850
- Walk the five main islands of the Aeolian archipelago off Sicily
- Swim in azure-blue seas from black-sand beaches
- Summit fiery Stromboli – if volcanic activity allows
- Discover Mount Etna, walking on the highest active volcano in Europe
- Enjoy the delicious regional cuisine; fresh fish, capers, pasta and semi-frozen granita
- Relax in thermal springs and take a revitalising mud bath
Flight inclusive from £1,290, Land only from £1,095
- Trek through wild glacial terrain beneath towering peaks
- Stay in permanent camps along the route
- Experience the incredible helicopter ride from South Inylchek Base Camp to Karkara
- Swim in the warm(ish) waters of Issyk Kul Lake with views of the mountains on all sides
Flight inclusive from £2,790, Land only from £1,990
- Walk on every day of this holiday through stunning mountain scenery to the best viewpoints
- Hike in Banff, Yoho and Jasper National Parks
- Drive along the Icefield Parkway – one of the world’s most scenic highways
- Stay in comfortable hotels or chalets between Banff and Lake Louise, Jasper and Kananaskis
Flight inclusive from £3,295, Land only from £2,495
Click on a map icon for holiday details