Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
Walking & Trekking Holidays
Walking holidays & trekking at altitude - what to expect
Our walking holidays and trekking holidays are designed to allow gradual height gain, spread over a number of days. There is no way of predicting who will suffer from altitude but, for the vast majority of people, a slow ascent to height will produce minimal effects. On a few high altitude treks we carry a Gamow Bag as a precautionary measure.
The dossier pack that we send to you when you book your holiday includes comprehensive advice on safe travel at altitude. If you would like to find out more about the effects of altitude and the best preventative measures, then please visit the website of the research charity Medex and download their excellent booklet called 'Travel at High Altitude'. For treks involving travel above 4,000m/13,120ft, we'd strongly recommend that you read this booklet before you travel. You can also call our office and speak to an experienced member of our team.
With over 100 superb walking and trekking holidays worldwide we have something to offer everyone. Our small group walking and trekking holidays are graded from Gentle to Expedition Grade and include iconic treks, pioneering adventures, plus less energetic gentle walking holidays
- Trek on sections of the 'Peace Trail' circuit straddling the borders of Kosovo, Albania and Montenegro
- Enjoy rugged walking and ascend three peaks including the highest in Kosovo
- Experience the warmest of welcomes and the generous hospitality of the local shepherds and farmers
- Stay in a traditional shepherd's hut and village houses for a glimpse of an ancient way of life
Flight inclusive from £1,550, Land only from £1,175
- Follow in the footsteps of Joanna Lumley, walking the most beautiful section of the new Transcaucasian Trail.
- Stay in traditional watchtower villages, including beautiful Ushguli, now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Explore the unspoilt Alpine scenery of ancient Upper Svaneti, one of the wildest, most mysterious regions of Georgia
- Enjoy the hospitality of local families experiencing the distinctive Svaneti culture firsthand
- Step back in time on a guided walking tour of Tblisi, Georgia's remarkable capital city.
Flight inclusive from £2,320, Land only from £1,850
- Explore the heart of the region on this exhilarating seven-day trek, starting at the foot of the Tre Cime
- Discover more about the local Ladin people and the fascinating World War 1 history of the region
- Stay in comfortable and welcoming rifugios
- All your baggage will be transferred for you between mountain huts – walk with just a daypack
Flight inclusive from £1,880, Land only from £1,665
- Trek on quiet but challenging trails with 1,000m ascents and descents most days
- Observe the traditional Romanian way of life, little-changed for centuries
- Ascend Vanatarea lui Buteanu, 2,500m, one of the highest peaks in the Fagaras Mountains
- Visit mysterious Bran Castle, the historic inspiration for the fictional home of Count Dracula
- Stay in village guest houses and small hotels, and enjoy delicious, home-cooked food
- Explore the cobblestoned town of Sibiu with its imposing city walls and mighty defence towers
Flight inclusive from £1,490, Land only from £1,265
- Explore the 'Shangri La' valley of Thethi in Albania
- Visit Shkodra castle and take a boat trip down Lake Drin
- Climb the peak of Komovi in Montenegro
- Walk the Bay of Kotor - a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Flight inclusive from £1,380, Land only from £995
- Enjoy easy-paced walks in the beautiful Bulgarian countryside
- Explore three of Bulgaria’s biggest and best mountains ranges, Rhodope, Pirin and Rila
- Discover the 2019 European Capital of Culture, Plovdiv
- Stay in charming, family run village hotels - an authentic cultural experience
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Rila Monastery in the heart of the Rila Mountain range
- Step inside three of Bulgaria’s justifiably famous caves
Flight inclusive from £1,295, Land only from £1,125
- Stay within the walls of the Diocletian Palace in Split
- Discover the fantastic walled-city of Dubrovnik on a walking tour
- Explore four distinctive Dalmatian islands on foot - Brač, Hvar, Korčula and Mljet
- Walk to the highest point of any island in Croatia for breathtaking views as far as Italy
- Sample the island specialities with olive oil tasting on Brač and wine tasting on Korčula
Flight inclusive from £2,075, Land only from £1,550
- Walk the five main islands of the Aeolian archipelago off Sicily
- Swim in azure-blue seas from black-sand beaches
- Summit fiery Stromboli – if volcanic activity allows
- Discover Mount Etna, walking on the highest active volcano in Europe
- Enjoy the delicious regional cuisine; fresh fish, capers, pasta and semi-frozen granita
- Relax in thermal springs and take a revitalising mud bath
Flight inclusive from £1,290, Land only from £1,095
- Coastal walks in the Bay of Kotor
- Take the train to Kolasin in the north
- Trek in the Biogradska and Durmitor National Parks
- See Tara River Canyon, the second deepest river gorge in the world
- Stay in 4* hotels and a traditional shepherd's cabin
Flight inclusive from £1,495, Land only from £1,165
- Trek in a beautiful valley with fabulous views of the Monte Rosa Massif and its glaciers.
- Explore an historic area with traditional villages, castles, churches and ancient gold mines
- Walk through alpine meadows full of flowers and beautiful forests, walking well maintained trails.
- Stay in small friendly hotels of a good, comfortable standard.
Flight inclusive from £1,365, Land only from £1,180
Click on a map icon for holiday details