Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Bhutan so special?
Known as the ‘Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon’ by its people, Bhutan is a beautiful and profoundly spiritual country with striking mountains, vibrant Buddhist festivals and a fascinating traditional way of life. Whether you go on a cultural tour of Bhutan or a trekking holiday into its hidden valleys, Mountain Kingdoms is the Himalayan specialist with the expertise to give you an unforgettable experience and offers the very best cultural tours of Bhutan, trekking holidays and tailor made holidays to Bhutan.
Our walking and trekking tours in Bhutan will take you deep into the isolated mountains and valleys of the country. Our high mountain treks, including the Hidden Kingdom Trek, focus on trekking amidst the highest peaks and passes in Bhutan; other trekking holiday routes stray off-the-beaten-track, following old trade and smuggling routes rarely visited by foreigners.
Tours in Bhutan typically revolve around one of the country’s many fascinating Buddhist festivals with amazing displays of national celebration and religious devotion. Our Bhutan tours also give you a unique opportunity to visit remote villages and experience the traditional Bhutanese way of life.
Whatever you want from your visit to this unique country, Mountain Kingdoms will have a trek or tour for you, and, if we don’t, we can always help you to design your own! Alongside our standard itineraries, we also offer Tailor Made holidays to Bhutan, allowing us to create the perfect trip to suit your needs. Whether you take a trekking holiday along Bhutan’s ancient trade routes, climb the highest mountains, explore remote villages or take a tour of Bhutan’s main cultural centres and sights, a trek, tour or Tailor Made holiday in Bhutan will take you right to the heart of the Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon.
Mountain Kingdoms has been organising cultural tours and walking and trekking holidays to Bhutan for more than 30 years, so we know the country inside out.
Bhutan Holidays - Walks, Treks & Tours
Timeless traditions, unique architecture and stunning Himalayan scenery combine to make Bhutan the most fascinating of all the Himalayan kingdoms.
- Trek one of Bhutan’s oldest trails with wonderfully varied scenery and superb mountain views
- Walk to the fabled Tiger’s Nest Monastery and visit Punakha Dzong
- Explore the key cultural sights of Thimphu and the Paro Valley
- Attend one of Bhutan’s most significant festivals (on selected departures)
- Enjoy first-rate camping and well-appointed hotels
Flight inclusive from £3,325, Land only from £2,595
- First-rate accommodation in Bhutan using comfortable hotels and lodges
- Relax at Dwarika’s hotel in Kathmandu – a unique heritage property
- Explore the cultural highlights of Bhutan including iconic Taktsang Monastery
- Excellent and varied programme of gentle walks
Flight inclusive from £3,445, Land only from £2,695
- Spectacular scenery from start to finish
- Spend time in the remote mountain village of Laya
- Enjoy first-rate camping facilities on trek
- Look for rare tigers in the high mountains where the BBC filmed ‘Land of the Lost Tigers’
Flight inclusive from £4,350, Land only from £3,365
- Explore the spectacular and little visited hill-top towns and temples of east Bhutan.
- Join just a handful of other westerners at the Tangbi Mani festival celebrations.
- Visit the picturesque village of Ura and stay in a traditional farmhouse for one night.
- Cross the high Thrumsing La on an exciting drive to Mongar.
- Visit the fantastic ancient monastery/castle on its hilltop at Lhuentse and quirky Gom Kora.
- Enjoy gentle walks in the beautiful valleys around Bumthang.
Flight inclusive from £3,810, Land only from £2,975
- Tiger's Nest, Punakha Dzong and the King's Memorial Chorten - Bhutan's foremost sights
- Easy-paced walks on gentle trails
- Join the festivities at an impressive Bhutanese Festival
- Stay in first class accommodation throughout including fabulous Dwarika's in Kathmandu
Flight inclusive from £3,670, Land only from £2,785
- A well-paced trek with excellent acclimatisation including two rest days
- Trek to the Base Camp of Mount Chomolhari and return via the lesser trekked route across the beautiful Bonte La
- Time included to explore the base camp area and the stunning Soi Yaksey valley
- Walk to Taktsang Monastery and sightseeing in Thimphu
Flight inclusive from £3,495, Land only from £2,795
- Be one of the first westerners to visit the remote region of Dagana
- Trek through a variety of scenery and ecological zones rich with flora and fauna
- Cross passes over 4,000 metres with fantastic views of Himalayan peaks
- Visit iconic Taktsang Monastery and beautiful Punakha Dzong
Flight inclusive from £3,795, Land only from £2,995
- Spend three nights in approved farmhouse homestays to experience the lives of the local people.
- Trek for two days on the Bumdra Trek to reach celebrated Taktsang Monastery.
- Enjoy varied and interesting day walks.
- Discover the beautiful 'hidden' valleys of Phobjika and Haa.
- Attend the Black-necked crane Festival on the autumn departure or the Rhododendron Festival in the spring.
Flight inclusive from £3,510, Land only from £2,735
- Experience first-hand the unique textile traditions of Bhutan in the company of Sue Lawty, one of Britain’s foremost textile artists
- Meet local weavers and learn about the rich Bhutanese culture of spinning and weaving
- Visit small villages and stay in homestay accommodation to experience life with a Bhutanese family
- See Bhutan’s cultural highlights, join the revelries at a colourful local festival and enjoy walks in the beautiful Bhutanese countryside
Flight inclusive from £4,410, Land only from £3,650
- The classic Snowman trek with a superb hike out through uncharted terrain
- Excellent acclimatisation with carefully placed rest days in the best locations for exploration
- Sightseeing in Paro and Punakha including the walk to Tiger's Nest Monastery
- Two nights getting to know the people of Laya with their unique dress and cultural traditions
- Travel with a highly experienced Mountain Kingdoms leader supported by a Bhutanese guide and crew
- First-rate camping on trek and a four-star hotel in Kathmandu
Flight inclusive from £7,955, Land only from £6,885
Click on a map icon for holiday details