Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Bhutan so special?
Known as the ‘Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon’ by its people, Bhutan is a beautiful and profoundly spiritual country with striking mountains, vibrant Buddhist festivals and a fascinating traditional way of life. Whether you go on a cultural tour of Bhutan or a trekking holiday into its hidden valleys, Mountain Kingdoms is the Himalayan specialist with the expertise to give you an unforgettable experience and offers the very best cultural tours of Bhutan, trekking holidays and tailor made holidays to Bhutan.
Our walking and trekking holidays in Bhutan will take you deep into the isolated mountains and valleys of the country. Our high mountain treks, including the Hidden Kingdom Trek, focus on trekking amidst the highest peaks and passes in Bhutan; other trekking holiday routes stray off-the-beaten-track, following old trade and smuggling routes rarely visited by foreigners.
Tours in Bhutan typically revolve around one of the country’s many fascinating Buddhist festivals with amazing displays of national celebration and religious devotion. Our Bhutan tours also give you a unique opportunity to visit remote villages and experience the traditional Bhutanese way of life.
Whatever you want from your visit to this unique country, Mountain Kingdoms will have a trek or tour for you, and, if we don’t, we can always help you to design your own! Alongside our standard itineraries, we also offer Tailor Made holidays to Bhutan, allowing us to create the perfect trip to suit your needs. Whether you take a trekking holiday along Bhutan’s ancient trade routes, climb the highest mountains, explore remote villages or take a tour of Bhutan’s main cultural centres and sights, a trek, tour or Tailor Made holiday in Bhutan will take you right to the heart of the Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon.
Mountain Kingdoms has been organising cultural tours and walking and trekking holidays to Bhutan for more than 30 years, so we know the country inside out.
Bhutan Holidays - Walks, Treks & Tours
Timeless traditions, unique architecture and stunning Himalayan scenery combine to make Bhutan the most fascinating of all the Himalayan kingdoms.
- Trek one of Bhutan’s oldest trails with superb scenery and mountain views
- Visit Bhutan’s cultural highlights including Tiger’s Nest Monastery
- First-rate camping whilst on trek and well appointed hotels in Bhutan
- Relax and enjoy a full day at leisure in Kathmandu
- Join the festivities at a Bhutanese festivals (on select departures)
Flight inclusive from £3,325, Land only from £2,595
- First-rate accommodation in Bhutan using comfortable hotels and lodges
- Relax at Dwarika’s hotel in Kathmandu – a unique heritage property
- Explore the cultural highlights of Bhutan including iconic Taktsang Monastery
- Excellent and varied programme of gentle walks
Flight inclusive from £3,445, Land only from £2,695
- Visit the key cultural sights including the Tiger’s Nest Monastery and Punakha Dzong
- Explore the countryside in the beautiful Haa Valley
- Join the celebrations at a Bhutanese festival
- Stay in Dwarika’s Hotel in Kathmandu - a unique 5* heritage property
Flight inclusive from £3,530, Land only from £2,695
- Explore the artistic and cultural heritage of ancient Kathmandu
- Enjoy stunning views of the Himalayan mountains
- Visit all the key cultural sights in Bhutan, including iconic Taktsang Monastery
- Experience traditional Nepalese village life in Bandipur
- Enjoy time in scenic Pokhara with a boat ride on the lake
- Stay at comfortable hotels throughout
Flight inclusive from £3,475, Land only from £2,795
- Spectacular scenery from start to finish
- Spend time in the remote mountain village of Laya
- Enjoy first-rate camping facilities on trek
- Look for rare tigers in the high mountains where the BBC filmed ‘Land of the Lost Tigers’
Flight inclusive from £4,350, Land only from £3,365
- Climb stunning passes and be rewarded by exhilarating descents
- Ride from Paro to Bumthang on a tremendously varied route
- Visit villages, dzongs and the famous Tiger’s Nest Monastery
- Join the celebrations at a Bhutanese festival
Flight inclusive from £4,185, Land only from £3,335
- Explore the spectacular and little visited hill-top towns and temples of east Bhutan.
- Join just a handful of other westerners at the Tangbi Mani festival celebrations.
- Visit the picturesque village of Ura and stay in a traditional farmhouse for one night.
- Cross the high Thrumsingh La Pass on an exciting drive to Mongar.
- Visit the fantastic ancient monastery/castle on its hilltop at Lhuentse and quirky Gom Kora.
- Enjoy gentle walks in the beautiful valleys around Bumthang.
Flight inclusive from £3,810, Land only from £2,975
- Tiger's Nest, Punakha Dzong and the King's Memorial Chorten - Bhutan's foremost sights
- Easy-paced walks on gentle trails
- Join the festivities at an impressive Bhutanese Festival
- Stay in first class accommodation throughout including fabulous Dwarika's in Kathmandu
Flight inclusive from £3,670, Land only from £2,785
- A well-paced trek with excellent acclimatisation including two rest days
- Trek to the Base Camp of Mount Chomolhari and return via the lesser trekked route across the beautiful Bonte La
- Time included to explore the base camp area and the stunning Soi Yaksey valley
- Walk to Taktsang Monastery and sightseeing in Thimphu
Flight inclusive from £3,495, Land only from £2,795
- Be one of the first westerners to visit the remote region of Dagana
- Trek through a variety of scenery and ecological zones rich with flora and fauna
- Cross passes over 4,000 metres with fantastic views of Himalayan peaks
- Visit iconic Taktsang Monastery and beautiful Punakha Dzong
Flight inclusive from £3,795, Land only from £2,995
Click on a map icon for holiday details