Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Tibet trekking holidays & tours so special?
Lying in the shadow of the Greater Himalaya, Tibet is a barren, high-altitude plateau of brown rolling hills, pierced occasionally by enormous peaks, and covering an area the size of Western Europe. Sealed off from the outside world for many years, holidays to Tibet offer a fascinating chance to explore this beautiful and reclusive country.
Much of the appeal of taking a holiday in Tibet lies in the mystery of the region. When Tibetans enjoyed self-rule they preferred isolation and shunned contact with the outside world. Reaching Lhasa was one of the last great challenges during the era of exploration in Empire days. It is a country that personifies all that is mysterious, and its red and yellow hat sects of Tibetan Buddhism are growing in strength again after the shock of the Chinese Cultural Revolution.
The exiled Dalai Lama encourages Westerners to go on holiday to Tibet and to experience its unique culture - we also believe a journey to ‘the Roof of the World’ to be a worthy and fascinating goal.
Mountain Kingdoms have been Tibet trekking specialists for more than twenty years. We improve and refine our Tibet trekking holidays every year, researching new routes and adapting to changing conditions, so you can be certain that we have the very best trekking itineraries in this stretch of the Himalayas.
Tibet trekking holidays & tours
A breathtaking high-altitude landscape pierced with sacred mountains and ancient towns where Tibetan culture is fiercely preserved.
- Enjoy a rarely travelled, short, vigorous trek in delightful countryside near Lhasa
- Spend ample time exploring Lhasa's key sights to gain the best acclimatisation.
- Visit the Valley of Kings, and Tibet's legendary Yumbulakang castle.
- Stay in comfortable hotels in Lhasa and Chengdu with first rate camping facilities on trek
Flight inclusive from £3,290, Land only from £2,395
- All the key cultural highlights including Tiger’s Nest Monastery, Potala Palace and Durbar Square
- Join the festivities on the September departure at the impressive Thimphu Festival
- A well-paced itinerary with ample time for sightseeing, optional walks and good acclimatisation
- Good quality hotel accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £4,210, Land only from £3,415
- Enjoy a well-paced itinerary with ample time for good acclimatisation
- Attend a Tibetan festival
- See all the major sights of Lhasa together with Shigatse and Gyantse
- Stay in comfortable accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £3,145, Land only from £2,395
- Trek around Mount Kailash - the holiest mountain in the Himalaya
- Attend the highly atmospheric Saga Dawa festival at the foot of Mount Kailash
- Take the best route to Kailash across the Tibetan plateau stopping to explore many cultural sights en route
- Return to Lhasa via the north Base Camp of Mount Everest on the Rongbuk glacier
Flight inclusive from £4,970, Land only from £4,275
Click on a map icon for holiday details