Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Tibet trekking holidays & tours so special?
Lying in the shadow of the Greater Himalaya, Tibet is a barren, high-altitude plateau of brown rolling hills, pierced occasionally by enormous peaks, and covering an area the size of Western Europe. Sealed off from the outside world for many years, holidays to Tibet offer a fascinating chance to explore this beautiful and reclusive country.
Much of the appeal of taking a holiday in Tibet lies in the mystery of the region. When Tibetans enjoyed self-rule they preferred isolation and shunned contact with the outside world. Reaching Lhasa was one of the last great challenges during the era of exploration in Empire days. It is a country that personifies all that is mysterious, and its red and yellow hat sects of Tibetan Buddhism are growing in strength again after the shock of the Chinese Cultural Revolution.
The exiled Dalai Lama encourages Westerners to go on holiday to Tibet and to experience its unique culture - we also believe a journey to ‘the Roof of the World’ to be a worthy and fascinating goal.
Mountain Kingdoms have been Tibet trekking specialists for more than twenty years. We improve and refine our Tibet trekking holidays every year, researching new routes and adapting to changing conditions, so you can be certain that we have the very best trekking itineraries in this stretch of the Himalayas.
Tibet trekking holidays & tours
A breathtaking high-altitude landscape pierced with sacred mountains and ancient towns where Tibetan culture is fiercely preserved.
- Take a three day acclimatisation trek in the Himalayan foothills of Nepal
- Tour the fascinating sights of Lhasa and visit the cave hermitage of Drak Yerpa
- Fly 800 miles across Tibet and past Mount Kailash to land at the airport of Ali, giving easy access to the ancient kingdoms west of Ali
- Explore the mysterious kingdoms of Guge and Shangshung
- Enjoy walks to visit cave dwellings, remote monasteries and ruined castles and visit the holy hot springs at Tirthapuri
- Drive west to east across just part of the great Tibetan plateau, using the new road to Kathmandu from Tibet driving past Kailaish and through Kyirong and part of Langtang
Flight inclusive from £5,730, Land only from £4,895
- All the key cultural highlights including Tiger’s Nest Monastery, Potala Palace and Durbar Square
- Join the celebrations at a Bhutanese festival
- A well-paced itinerary with ample time for sightseeing, optional walks and good acclimatisation
- Good quality hotel accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £4,395, Land only from £3,595
- Enjoy a well-paced itinerary with ample time for good acclimatisation
- Attend a Tibetan festival
- See all the major sights of Lhasa together with Shigatse, Gyantse and Sakya
- Stay in comfortable accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £3,185, Land only from £2,485
- Trek in the company of pilgrims around Mount Kailash, the holiest mountain in the Himalaya
- Complete a kora (circuit) of the mountain to cleanse your sins
- Drive across the vast Tibetan Plateau and camp beside Lake Manasarovar
- Enjoy a spectacular acclimatisation trek in the Langtang Valley in Nepal with great mountain views
Flight inclusive from £4,995, Land only from £4,145
Click on a map icon for holiday details