Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
- Population: Approximately 14 million across the Alpine region
- Size of the Alpine region: 298,100 km²
- Countries of the Alpine region: France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Liechtenstein and Monaco.
- Three highest peaks: Mont Blanc (4,810 m / 15,780 ft), Monte Rosa (4,634 m / 15,203 ft), Dom (4,545 m / 14,911 ft)
- Popular food: Cheese fondue is one of the best known Swiss dishes and is particularly popular in the central Alpine countries.
- Did you know: The Edelweiss, a symbol of the Alps, is just one of the 13,000 species of plants that can be found in the region. It has been traditionally used in folk medicine as a remedy against abdominal and respiratory diseases.
- FCO link: FCO travel advice
- World Travel Guide link: World Travel Guide / Switzerland