Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Burma (Myanmar) so special?
Holidays in Burma (Myanmar) give the visitor a chance to experience fascinating ethnic diversity, a landscape stretching from the Indian Ocean to the high Himalaya and a stunning abundance of gilded temples and monuments.
From the major cultural sights of vibrant Yangon (Rangoon) and inspirational Mandalay, to peaceful Inle Lake where fishermen lead traditional lives in floating villages, Burma has perhaps some of the strongest draws of any travel destination.
In November 2010, the National League for Democracy revised their stance on travel to Burma, and is now encouraging visitors to return to the country. With this in mind, Mountain Kingdoms uses privately-owned hotels, restaurants, tea shops and transportation wherever possible, and omits visits to certain attractions run by the military regime that will profit from foreign travel. Burma has a huge amount to offer visitors who wish to support the people. Whether you want to travel in Burma for the cultural highlights or walk its remote hills, Mountain Kingdoms can put together the perfect Burma holiday experience for you.
Burma (Myanmar) Holidays
With its fascinating ethnic diversity, a landscape stretching from the Indian Ocean to the high Himalaya and a stunning abundance of gilded temples and monuments, Burma has some of the strongest draws of any travel destination.
- Trek for three days across picturesque countryside from Kalaw to Inle Lake
- Stay in village homes and lodges for an insight into authentic Burmese life
- Travel off the tourist trail to Sintaung Village and spend an evening with the local community
- Take walks and boat rides to explore Inle Lake and the surrounding villages and temples
Flight inclusive from £2,770, Land only from £1,995
- Featured in the Sunday Times '100 Best Holidays in the World'
- Visit Burma’s three major cultural centres: Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake
- A delightful full day cruise along the Ayeyarwady River from Mandalay to Bagan
- Gentle walks to villages, temples, Buddhist monasteries and old palaces
Flight inclusive from £3,170, Land only from £2,195
- Be among the select few westerners to visit the Burmese Himalaya
- Interact with the shy but friendly people of the Rawan and Lisu tribes
- Enjoy the beauty of the valleys and villages at the foot of their “Ice Mountains”
- Visit the extraordinary Pindaya Caves
Flight inclusive from £2,945, Land only from £2,245
- Visit Burma’s four major cultural centres: Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake
- Enjoy a delightful full day cruise along the Ayeyarwady River from Mandalay to Bagan
- Walk to view the celebrated Taktsang Monastery in Bhutan
- Stay in good quality hotel accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £4,645, Land only from £3,845
Click on a map icon for holiday details