Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
What makes Bhutan so special?
Known as the ‘Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon’ by its people, Bhutan is a beautiful and profoundly spiritual country with striking mountains, vibrant Buddhist festivals and a fascinating traditional way of life. Whether you go on a cultural tour of Bhutan or a trekking holiday into its hidden valleys, Mountain Kingdoms is the Himalayan specialist with the expertise to give you an unforgettable experience and offers the very best cultural tours of Bhutan, trekking holidays and tailor made holidays to Bhutan.
Our walking and trekking tours in Bhutan will take you deep into the isolated mountains and valleys of the country. Our high mountain treks, including the Hidden Kingdom Trek, focus on trekking amidst the highest peaks and passes in Bhutan; other trekking holiday routes stray off-the-beaten-track, following old trade and smuggling routes rarely visited by foreigners.
Tours in Bhutan typically revolve around one of the country’s many fascinating Buddhist festivals with amazing displays of national celebration and religious devotion. Our Bhutan tours also give you a unique opportunity to visit remote villages and experience the traditional Bhutanese way of life.
Whatever you want from your visit to this unique country, Mountain Kingdoms will have a trek or tour for you, and, if we don’t, we can always help you to design your own! Alongside our standard itineraries, we also offer Tailor Made holidays to Bhutan, allowing us to create the perfect trip to suit your needs. Whether you take a trekking holiday along Bhutan’s ancient trade routes, climb the highest mountains, explore remote villages or take a tour of Bhutan’s main cultural centres and sights, a trek, tour or Tailor Made holiday in Bhutan will take you right to the heart of the Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon.
Mountain Kingdoms has been organising cultural tours and walking and trekking holidays to Bhutan for more than 30 years, so we know the country inside out.
Bhutan Holidays - Walks, Treks & Tours
Timeless traditions, unique architecture and stunning Himalayan scenery combine to make Bhutan the most fascinating of all the Himalayan kingdoms.
- A well-paced trek with excellent acclimatisation including two rest days
- Trek to the Base Camp of Mount Chomolhari and return via the lesser trekked route across the beautiful Bonte La
- Time included to explore the base camp area and the stunning Soi Yaksey valley
- Walk to Taktsang Monastery and sightseeing in Thimphu
Flight inclusive from £3,795, Land only from £2,995
- Be one of the first westerners to visit the remote region of Dagana
- Trek through a variety of scenery and ecological zones rich with flora and fauna
- Cross passes over 4,000 metres with fantastic views of Himalayan peaks
- Visit iconic Taktsang Monastery and beautiful Punakha Dzong
- Spend time at the magical Paro Tsechu (spring 2020 departure)
Flight inclusive from £4,025, Land only from £3,225
- Spend three nights in approved farmhouse homestays to experience the lives of the local people.
- Trek for two days on the Bumdra Trek to reach celebrated Taktsang Monastery.
- Enjoy varied and interesting day walks.
- Discover the beautiful 'hidden' valleys of Phobjika and Haa.
- Attend a colourful Bhutanese festival
Flight inclusive from £3,695, Land only from £2,995
- The classic Snowman trek with a superb hike out through uncharted terrain
- Travel with a highly experienced Mountain Kingdoms leader supported by a Bhutanese guide and crew
- Excellent acclimatisation with carefully placed rest days in the best locations for exploration
- Sightseeing in Paro and Punakha including the walk to Tiger's Nest Monastery
- Two nights getting to know the people of Laya with their unique dress and cultural traditions
- First-rate camping on trek and a four-star hotel in Kathmandu
Flight inclusive from £7,995, Land only from £7,195
- Trek the original trail linking the Paro, Thimphu and Punakha valleys
- Camp in the wilderness, fully supported, amongst high mountains and forests
- Discover traditional rural villages
- Visit dzongs and the famous Tiger’s Nest Monastery
Flight inclusive from £4,045, Land only from £3,295
- Trek along an ancient trading route in a remote, beautiful and culturally fascinating area of eastern Bhutan
- Keep watch for yetis near the Rodang La - a traditional haunt of this most elusive of creatures
- See numerous varieties of colourful and exotic birds in one of the world’s birding hotspots
- Walk to Tiger’s Nest Monastery, the most spectacularly located in all Bhutan
- Visit many of the dzongs, temples and other key cultural attractions of eastern Bhutan
- Join the festivities at a traditional Bhutanese festival
Flight inclusive from £4,245, Land only from £3,495
- Explore the incredible wild country south of Gangkar Punsum
- Trek through the rarely visited Chamkhar Chhu valley
- Enjoy close up views of Bhutan's highest peak
- Walk up to the breathtaking clifftop temple of Taktsang Monastery
Flight inclusive from £5,300, Land only from £4,550
- Visit Burma’s four major cultural centres: Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake
- Enjoy a delightful full day cruise along the Ayeyarwady River from Mandalay to Bagan
- Walk to view the celebrated Taktsang Monastery in Bhutan
- Discover beautiful Punakha Dzong
- Attend the Paro Festival on our March departure
- Stay in good quality hotel accommodation throughout
Flight inclusive from £4,745, Land only from £4,095
- Explore Bhutan’s main sights - Paro, Thimphu & Punakha
- Superior cabin in a luxurious cruise boat
- Visit a tea plantation and Majuli Island
- Jeep safari in Kaziranga National Park to see rhinos
Flight inclusive from £5,245, Land only from £4,550
Click on a map icon for holiday details