Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
Phongun Razi & the Burmese Ice MountainsWalking & Trekking
Duration: 18 days from the UK
On trek: 10 days
Walks on: 3 days
Flight inclusive from £3,670, Land only from £2,795
Book now or call 01453 844400
Our Burma trekking holiday takes you to remote highlands of northern Burma, with an ascent of Phongun Razi (3,635m /11,926ft).
- Be one of the first westerners to experience a northern Burma trek
- Trek through pristine jungle and along rocky outcrops to reach snow-capped Mount Phongun Razi
- Our Burma trekking holiday provides stunning views of the surrounding eastern Himalaya
- Explore the magnificent Shwenandaw Monastery in Mandalay
This holiday takes you off-the-beaten-track to a summit in the Burmese Himalaya, as well as visiting the main sights in Mandalay, Bagan and Yangon. I did the recce in 2012 and loved it!
Steve Berry, Managing Director
When you trek Burma - unlike its neighbours in Southeast Asia, you’ll find a true mountain environment to explore, lying as it does at the eastern reaches of the Himalayan range. The peaks are modest here by Himalayan standards but at 3,635m /11,926ft high, Phongun Razi is typically snow-capped all year and higher than many walking peaks in Western Europe.
From Yangon (Rangoon), we take a flight to the northern outpost of Putao, from where a short drive takes us to the trailhead. Over the next five days the scenery changes as we trek Burma from farmland through pine and then rhododendron forest, passing through villages of the Rawan and Lisu tribes on our expert-led trek. Burma then imparts a stunning reward, after the final non-technical ascent, are views stretching across the Himalayan chain and into Assam in the far north of India. Upon return to Putao we fly south to Mandalay, exploring the city and its surrounds before returning to Yangon and the end of our Burma trekking journey.
You may also be interested in:
- Be among the select few westerners to visit the Burmese Himalaya
- Interact with the shy but friendly people of the Rawan and Lisu tribes
- Enjoy the beauty of the valleys and villages at the foot of their “Ice Mountains”
- Visit the extraordinary Pindaya Caves
Flight inclusive from £3,445, Land only from £2,495