Our grading system explained
- Expedition Grade
Mustang & The Kingdom of LoWalking & Trekking
Duration: 19 days from the UK
On trek: 13 days
Flight inclusive from £2,795, Land only from £2,095
Book now or call 01453 844400
Excellent summer trekking in Mustang a dramatic and culturally distinct region of Nepal.
- A dramatic desert landscape with incredible ‘organ-pipe’ cliffs.
- Intriguing long-abandoned cliff dwellings and ancient cave monasteries
- April departure attends the fascinating Tiji Festival at Lo Manthang
- Only relatively few visitors are able to visit Mustang each year as special entry permits (which we process for you) are required for Mustang
I just wanted to add my personal thanks to you guys for such a superb trek. Truly the best ever: wonderful scenery & cultural environment, a magical lack of crowds, vigorous enough without being too much, perfect weather, good equipment & food and a professional and experienced guide and team that worked professionally and seamlessly and were a pleasure to interact with.
Mr C, Malaysia
A first class trip led by an excellent local guide ....... we had an audience with the King of Lo, visited three schools and had lots of interaction with the people of Lo Manthang. Superb scenery together with unique people making a fantastic experience.
Mr & Mrs S, Derby
I thought the Festival was quite amazing and completely mediaeval, as was Lo Manthang itself, a wonderful reward for six days hard walking. Unforgettable.
Mrs S, Wiltshire
The organisation of this trip was very professional and the information provided was excellent, as were the guides.
Mr F & Ms P, Norfolk
The pre-departure info was excellent and thorough. The local trek crew were fantastic - I can't praise them enough. MK obviously has respect for the local people it uses and the countries it operates in.
Miss A, London
The ancient Kingdom of Mustang has long been shrouded in mystery. Closed for many years to foreigners it finally opened its doors in 1988, although trekkers were restricted to the west side of the valley. We can now venture into the little trekked eastern side and following this alternative Mustang trekking route makes for a really satisfying new circuit trek.
We begin our Mustang trek following the traditional trail up the west Kali Gandaki valley to the walled city of Lo Manthang. After time to explore, we return through the picturesque villages of Dhi, Tange and Tetang toward the pilgrimage village of Muktinath. En route we see hermit caves and visit the remarkable 13th century cave monastery at Luri, one of the last remaining examples of its kind. We camp or stay in tea houses and our Mustang trekking route takes us over stunning high plateaus and through a spectacular desert landscape set against a backdrop of snow-capped peaks.
In May our Mustang trek attends the Tiji Festival, a celebration of dance and ritual to expel demons. The Loba people of Mustang boast a proud history, dating back to the 5th Century A.D.
This unique Mustang trek will leave an indelible imprint on our memories.
You may also be interested in:
- An opportunity to genuinely trek where few other westerners venture.
- Excellent acclimatisation and ample time to explore.
- Highly experienced Nepali leader and trek crew
- Relax in Kathmandu in a four-star hotel.
Flight inclusive from £3,095, Land only from £2,255
- Astounding ice fluted peaks and Himalayan giants either side of the hidden valley of Rolwaling
- Really off-the-beaten track close to the Tibetan border but only a few hours drive from Kathmandu
- A highly experienced western trek leader appointed by Mountain Kingdoms
- Special trekking permits included in the holiday price
Flight inclusive from £2,820, Land only from £1,895
- A truly off-the-beaten-track trek to a spectacular new region.
- Visit the base camp of the highest 7,000m peak in the far western end of Nepal.
- See beautiful mountain landscapes, rapid rivers and pristine forests
- Top quality camping equipment and service on trek
Flight inclusive from £3,945, Land only from £3,095